Friday, July 6, 2012

HOW TO

GLAZED APPLE CUSTARD PIE

This past year I've explored my baking palette a bit more and I've added another pie to my list.

The Crust


You can either buy a mix or get a pre made crust but I like to make my own.  For this kind of pie I recommend the non-flaky kind of crust.  I haven't tried many recipes and so I don't have my own but you can refer to this page if you were looking to make your own crust.


The Custard


This was so fun to make. I felt like I was doing a science experiment (fun activity for any child!)

You will need:

Step 1

  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup of butter

Step 2

  • 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons of milk
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
First, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix the sugar, milk, cream, and butter. Stirring occasionally, heat until the better is completely melted. In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch, milk, and vanilla extract. Mix well! Once finished, stir into the saucepan. As it cooks it will thicken like magic! Once it is the right thickness, remove from heat and set aside to cool.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F or 200 degrees C.


The Apples


You will need:
  • 2-3 tart apples - peeled, cored, and sliced
  • 1 tablespoon of flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon

From personal experience, I found that Granny Smith apples work best.  Any red apples will get soft and mushy in the oven. When they are sliced you want them not too thick as they will make the pie crust uneven when you lay it on top. 
In a bowl, combine the apples, flour, and cinnamon and mix it all up so that each apple slice is evenly coated with flour and cinnamon. If you love cinnamon like me you may sneak a few more sprinkles. ;)


The Pie


With a 9 inch pan and your pie dough already rolled out, line it flat inside the pan. It's okay to leave the edges hanging out.

Then, pour in the custard into the pan and make sure the mixture is evenly spread around the pie. Arrange the apples on top of the custard.

You can either choose to roll out the second piece of dough and just lay it flat over the pie, but make sure you cut out some small slits on top to let out the heat and pressure. Otherwise your pie might explode in the oven. I chose to try my hand at a lattice crust. You find instructions for a lattice crust here. It may be because I'm an amateur but I found that after I placed my crust, the edges were very rough and ugly. So I took leftover strips and placed them along the edge of the pie, tucking them in to make it look neater.

Put the pie in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes, or until you see the crust is a golden color. Once finished, cool for 30 minutes.
In the mean time....

The Glaze


You will need:
  • 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 table spoon of softened butter
In a small bowl, mix all of the ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour evenly over the pie. I used a rubber baker's brush to make sure I got the whole surface covered.

Lastly, refrigerate the pie for at least 1.5 hours before serving so that the pie holds together. You make warm it up in the oven or a toaster oven before eating.
Bon Appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment